Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Victory

What a night. I was up till about 2 in the morning watching the results come in. I'll tell you right now that I voted for Bush and am extremely happy with the re-election. I am dissappointed with one factor of the nationwide results. Statistics are showing that a record number of evangelicals showed up to vote. Whereas, in years past this population had often refused to participate in national elections. This is a great thing. Christians should have an active say in the goings on of their government. They are part of this country to, its imperative to be responsible members of society in my opinion.
The part I'm dissappointed with is with this trend came an overwellming movement to ban gay marriage. I can't say what other states ballots said or what their new legislation prohibits but in Ohio we already have a piece of legislation in place that protects marriage as that of a man and a woman. Issue 1 blazed new ground. Now, civil unions would not be created or recognized.
So here it is, is it my duty as a follower of Christ to trounce on anything that says homosexual?
I voted for Bush because I believe what he has been doing for the last four years is what we should be doing. Its unfair to blame the economy, which is not as bad as anybody says, on one man and it's getting better. The war in Iraq was and is the right thing to do. I know thats a crazy concept nowadays to do something just because its right.
On that note, I voted down issue 1. I'm not out to persecute gays. I'm out to convey God's love to them. No, I'm not for gay marriage. But I guess I am ok with civil unions because I'm not going to force my beliefs or descriminate against anybody. All I ask is that the official term of "marriage" be granted only to a man and a woman as it always has been.
It's been a real struggle on how to vote "christ-like." One thing I'm sure of though is that God does not condemn my passion for political issues because he put it there and because of that passion I have opinions. I don't expect all Christians to have the same opinion and I refuse to criticize a Christian who votes democratic. I'm sure God likes the fact that I have opinions of my own because I'm acting out who he made me to be.

No comments: