Thursday, July 01, 2004

Nothin' on Top but a Bucket and a Mop and an Illustrated Book About Birds

First post in awhile. Vacation was sweet. My birthday was the 25th so I was still down there but my extended family felt pressured to at least give me some money so that they weren't the only people who didn't get me anything when it came time to open gifts. So I got a bunch of money, Nirvana Unplugged, A CD binder, Best Buy gift card, and some fog lights for my truck.
Spiderman 2 was sweet. Way better than the first. It also had some hilarious comic relief. Plus I got to go see it with Jenny which makes the experience that much better (points). They had some insane special effects. The story line was kinda far fetched but it is coming from a comic book so I'll buy it.
I really want to see both Farenheit 9/11 and Saved. I refuse to pay for Farenheit 9/11 because I won't fuel Micheal Moore's propaganda machine. Dave was saying the we could pay for a different movie and then sneak into Farenheit. I have to see it so I can tear it to pieces and spit on the remains. Its really hard for me to understand how anyone can decide how they are going to vote based upon the opinion of an obvioulsy one-sided movie the came out of Hollywood. Talk about ignorance.
I want to see Saved because it presents an issue that I'm pretty passionate about, Religion. Cory Lester put it best at Young Life camp when he said that Religion and following Jesus almost seem like opposites. According to Justin, this movie satires the religious side of Christianity which is all the world sees. The only thing that I probably won't like about the movie is the non-distinction between those following Jesus and religious characters.
Even if the contrasting sects of Christianity are both given attention in the movie I highly doubt anyone (who is not a Christian) is going to be able to see a diffence between the two or be able to apply Biblical principles on which side is more righteous.
Furthermore, its dangerous to agree with the movie's satire of the church sub-culture because it stereotypes many Christians who agree with a highely traditional church doctrine. Having attented a strict traditinal church for many years I know both the dangers of church rooted in tradition. However, there were leaders from this church that loved the lord and honored the church's rules. It is possible to do both. My family left this church because it had become a hotel for saints rather than a hospital for sinners. The point is, religion is the work of Satan, there's no denying that, but so is condeming those who live out their faith in a traditional manner. Jesus hated the laws and rules of the pharisees but he knew that there were men among them that only desired to serve the lord.

No comments: