Monday, February 14, 2005

It's a Hard Rain is Gonna Fall

So Voellmecke and Rob were tellin me that they Lynyrd Skynyrd did Freebird last night at the Grammy's. At first I was sorry I missed it. The I heard that it was a duet with country singer, Gretchen Wilson. What is going on in this country? Why does every good thing have to be drug into popular functions, like the Grammy's, and flogged? You're right, I didn't see the actual performance and to tell you the truth I don't want to. I was considering looking at some of the video online but then I talked myself out of it. It would be too painful to watch. I don't have anything against Gretchen Wilson or any other country singer. However, when she goes out there and mocks the spirit of Freebird by performing a duet with Lynyrd Skynyrd, then I have a problem. Freebird was not written as a cute little song to be sung at events where they give bands like Green Day best album awards. I'll tell ya, I'm glad Ronnie's not alive today because I wouldn't have wanted him to see this and he woulda died anyway from seeing popular society rape his song publicly.
To the remaining members of Lynyrd Skynyrd, I'd say that I hope you're happy with what you've done just now. You used to be the symbol of the working class, the farmer, the rancher, the simple man, and the redneck. And now what are you? You're all sellouts.

No comments: