Friday, October 19, 2007

I need an adamantium skeleton

The small group came over last night to watch X-Men III and eat pizza. The movie was pretty good although they had some situations that didn't logistically make any sense. For example, at the beginning of the final battle, Magneto sends in his "pawns". I'm going to assume that these are the less powerful mutants. So, these guys run toward the waiting line of troops and about 15 of them jump 100 ft. into the air to pounce on the soldiers. Alright...so you're telling me that there are fifteen mutants that all have the power to jump really high. Once they land, they begin to fight the soldiers who end up mowing them down with the "cure". However, after the sweet jump, none of these "mutants" use any other sort of power or ability. Seems like lazy filmaking.

Just before that, Magneto uses his metal moving skills to transport his army to Alcatraz island via the Golden Gate Bridge. While this is visually very cool, one can't help but point out that buses, planes and boats are also made of metal. Why can't Magneto just get on a boat and ride across the bay with his army? Lots of small stuff like that makes this movie pretty mediocre. And what the crap is going on with Archangel? You can't just dramatically introduce a character and then completely exclude him from the plot...terrible.

On a completely unrelated note...the Jesse Hartmann and I were discussing the justification of violence in the Bible this morning. We're reading through Shane Claiborne's Irrisistible Revolution together and the author seems to be of the mind that Christians should be completely anti-war, anti-violence and anti-military. While I would like to live in a world where this is possible I don't think I quite buy all that. I'd like to hear some thoughts. Does anyone still read my blog? If so, comment. Also, does anyone know what the Just War Theory is?

1 comment:

Davie said...

I understand the point Claiborne is trying to make, that Jesus seemed completely pacifistic and told us to turn the other cheek.

Like you, I'm sure that I agree with him. One of my biggest problems with that is how do you apply that to a government? Would Claiborne make the point that we shouldn't want our government to use force to defend it's citizens? Another point Jesus makes is to defend the poor, weak and helpless. Take the first Gulf War as an example: if you have a powerful nation attack a weak nation for no reason, should we not act to defend the weaker nation? Should we only "defend" them through non-violent means? I'm not saying I completely disagree with him, just something I wish he fleshed out a little more in his book. Clearly he's completely anti-war from the way he writes, but that would be one area where I would be really hesitant to make it a black or white, right or wrong subject.

Basically, the Just War theory argues that war can only be waged for very strict reasons, and only be a legitimate authority. Minimal force should be used and there should be restriction on the kind of force used. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war